Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Name

I've changed the name of the blog, as you've no doubt noticed. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, for a few reasons. The inaccuracy of the old URL (outofworkdomer.blogspot.com) didn't bother me at first, but it began to feel silly as my tenure as a member of the working class grew longer. This blog formed out of a need to somehow occupy my mind, but it has persisted because it is something I genuinely enjoy doing.

I think the new name encapsulates this mindset. For those of you who do not recognize it, "I am not Prince Hamlet" is a reference to the T.S. Eliot poem, "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock", which is my favorite poem. (Remind me to post a list of my ten favorite poems some day.) In the relevant stanza, the narrator accepts his limitations, and also casts off his history of indecision and fear of revealing his true self.

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be
Am an attendant Lord; one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool
Deferential, glad to be of use
Politic, cautious and meticulous
Full of high sentence but a bit obtuse;
At times indeed, almost ridiculous-
Almost, at times, the Fool.

This blog will remain as it has been, a fairly unconnected collection of opinions on topics mainly cultural, with occasional trivia questions and lists thrown in for padding. I make no apologies for what I write, or for what I am, which is apparently a person pretentious enough to reference T.S. Eliot on a blog that is most often visited by people looking for How I Met Your Mother reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment